Using Bitcoin and Bitcoin Gold node on the same pc

Hello everyone,
Is possible to use both the programs on the same pc?
I have the Bitcoin Cash node (Bitcoin ABC wallet) fully synchronized, then i installed the BTG node, using a different folder for the blockchain. I copied the blockchain files and after some time that i launch it the BTG node start recognizes the files, so the blockchain is the same? But i stop synchronizing because i fear that finish the process can damaged the BCH node. As using BTC and BCH node together (even using different folder for the blockchain) right?
Thanks

Hi - it should be fine to run the BItcoin Gold core wallet on the same computer as the Bitcoin Cash wallet (or the BItcoin core wallet.)

You’re doing something a little different, though.

Because we forked the Bitcoin blockchain, the blockchain for Bitcoin Gold is an exact copy of the Bitcoin blockchain from 2009 up until the fork date on October 25th, 2017; the Bitcoin Gold blockchain doesn’t begin to differ until our launch, November 12th, 2017. (There are no Bitcoin Gold block between the fork and the launch.)

The blockchain for Bitcoin Cash also copied the Bitcoin blockchain; it’s the same from 2009 up until their fork on August 1st, 2017.

So the Bitcoin Cash blockchain will match the Bitcoin Gold blockchain up until August 1st, 2017; your blocks after that date (which are Bitcoin Cash blocks but not Bitcoin blocks) should be rejected by the Bitcoin Gold wallet.

I don’t think that this will damage your BCH data; it’s working on the copy in the BTG folder, however, I’m not the expert on how the wallet will behave in this circumstance, so don’t take my word for it. I’m unsure exactly what will happen after the sync reaches August 1st, 2017, which is where Bitcoin Cash began to differ from Bitcoin, so I’ll let ask our support staff speak to what the Bitcoin Gold core wallet will do in this situation.

1 Like

I use btc core and btg core on my windows 7 desktop and its okay so far

1 Like

Seeing the other answer from bonabit i should use both BTG and BCH core without any problem. Meanwhile i downloading the bootstrap from the magnet link in the BTG site. (I’m using Windows 10).

Before i tried using BTC and BCH core with the same blockchain but i ran into some problems. If i use a different folder can i use both? (And also the BTG core).
Because in the path C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin there is the wallet.dat file and maybe can be a problem with BTC and BCH (i don’t know).

And there is a way to move the blockchain folder (of the node fully synchronized)?

Using a different folder for the blockchain?

Yes , i doubt if we use same folder they will running well as we expected, regarding the block split , but i dont know maybe its work i have not try yet :slight_smile:

I agree with you it shouldn’ t work with the same folder :slightly_smiling_face:
Do you something about the other questions?

BCH should not use the same default target folder as BTC - that’s decidedly unfriendly, and I’d expect that to cause problems.

BTG lets you choose where to put the files, and defaults to a folder named BitcoinGold.

BTC, BCH and BTG core are very similar and you can choose where to put the files in every version.
But after how you can change the folder? Without uninstall the program, because it take long time to synchronize again also having the blockchain only to be checked and already downloaded.

And i can run BTC and BCH together on the same pc? (And BTG)