Quickstart- How to Prune a node

Good day fellow BTGers. Today’s tutorial is short and sweet.
Lets say that you don’t want the full blockchain on your computer, well, you can do what is called prune your node.

1. First you need to download and install our newest wallet (node).
    https://bitcoingold.org/core-wallet-v17-3/

2. Your wallet will look like this.

3. second from top select settings then on the drop down options

4. See the red circled area. Check “Prune block storage to” and change to the desired amount.
    prune

It is my opinion, but the higher the number the better. I like to run the full amount. This way it helps make the network more secure and you can also be put on the map!
As seen below.

But the choice is yours. We are happy you are part of the growing community!
As per usual, I am hanging out around in Discord or Telegram waiting to hear from our awesome community.
For now , Cheers to you all!
Blackbox

1 Like

After almost four years, I guess a full UTXO pruned blockchain size is larger than 2GB–how large?

The full UTXO set is inside the chainstate folder. It will take the same amount of space whether it’s pruned node or not.

As of this writing:

A Windows Desktop:

Another Windows Desktop;

An Ubuntu Server:

name@server:~/.bitcoingold$ du -h chainstate
2.4G    chainstate

I have no good explanation for exactly why the space consumed differs between the platforms.

A pruned node restricts the amount of space used for block data, which is in the blocks folder. Here are some non-prune figures:

And slightly less on my server. Note: my server runs a full TXindex, which is not default. Here’s the full space consumption:

name@server:~/.bitcoingold$ du -h
48K     ./wallets/database.1658943776.bak
24K     ./wallets/database
1.4M    ./wallets
2.4G    ./chainstate
263M    ./blocks/index
16K     ./blocks/lost+found
154G    ./blocks
13G     ./indexes/txindex
13G     ./indexes
169G    .

Most nodes won’t have the 13G used for indexes/txindex.

On a pruned node, the blocks folder can be as small as 1GB, if that’s how you set it from the GUI. (And it can be as small as 550MB if set in the bitcoingold.conf file.)

1 Like