Solo mine BTG using the full node client

So how exactly does one “solo mine BTG using the full node client” (from FAQ topic: How do I mine Bitcoin Gold? https://bitcoingold.org/faq/)
I’ve installed and run the Full Node Client, and it processed the block chain.
Now what?

I understand that it’s possible to run any of several pieces of mining software and point them at your full node, provided you’ve configured it to accept connections from the miner. I haven’t done this, myself, but some of our more technical folks can probably give you a working process.

Few people choose to go that route, because it will take a very long time (perhaps years) for a single graphics card to successfully find a block and earn a reward… until then, all you have is extra power costs.

Instead, most people prefer to join a mining pool. In a pool. all the participants work to find blocks as a small group, and when any participant finds a block, they all share in the reward based on how much work they contributed.

We do not advise you to go solo mining since you will never ever get a payday (even mining with 3-4 cards the chance is below 0)

1 Like

Isn’t the whole point of BTG (vs BTC) the ability to mine with a GPU instead of an ASIC? Again, quoting from the FAQ:

Bitcoin Gold will provide an opportunity for countless new people around the world to participate in the mining process with widely-available consumer hardware that is manufactured and distributed by reputable mainstream corporations. A more decentralized, democratic mining infrastructure is more resilient and more in line with Satoshi’s original vision.

And…

Bitcoin Gold decentralizes mining by adopting a PoW algorithm, Equihash, which cannot be run faster on the specialty equipment used for Bitcoin mining (ASIC miners.) This gives ordinary users a fair opportunity to mine with ubiquitous GPUs.

Is this a snake-oil sales pitch or is there an actual analysis to back up these assertions? How are “ordinary users” and “fair opportunity” defined by the creators of BTG?

1 Like

Hello Mark,
Ordinary users should join a mining pool, if they want some shares.
As stated in comments above, if you mine solo, the chances you’ll ever find a BTG block by yourself are extremely slim.

Certainly not snake-oil !
It’s a recent bitcoin fork, which can be mined only with GPUs (no ASICs).
It’s a fairer opportunity compared to them ~2300$/piece Antminer ASICs, which are way too expensive.

Have a nice day!

1 Like

Try https://bitcoin-gold.miningpoolhub.com/
Follow the links and read the configuration info. The page has all the info required to start mining WITHOUT downloading the whole BTG blockchain.

Have a nice day!

2 Likes