Motherboards for mining BTG

Hey Everyone, Welcome Back!

This week’s talk is about motherboards or Mobos for short… Which ones I use, and ones I might try…

But first, before we dig into this, you have to ask yourself one question…
Am I just going to learn about mining and only have a little machine with one GPU? Or are you wanting to expand and add more and more cards?

If all you want to do is just do a test and mine BTG with only one card as a hobby, You can get the motherboard listed below. Even this little Motherboard will support 3 GPU. You can use almost any Motherboard. If you are unsure, you can always ask me.

MSI Intel Skylake H110 LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 Micro ATX Motherboard (H110M Pro-VD)

Price $48.00

So you see, it depends on your budget, and I am here to help you keep the costs down using my own experience as well as listening to others. We all have made many mistakes building mining rigs… Trust me :slightly_smiling_face:

There is no specific order from best to worse. but as you will find, there are some crazy Mobos out there.

So, let’s get to it…

All Motherboards below use the same CPU SUPPORT

The CPU SUPPORT Intel ®Core™
i7 LGA 1151 Processor
i5 LGA 1151 Processor
i3 LGA 1151 Processor
Pentium® LGA 1151 Processor
Celeron® LGA 1151 Processor

ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard

Click to view

I love this Mobo! it is for the 7th Gen Intel processors, so to keep costs down, you can use a Pentium G4400 or a Celeron G3900 series. You can actually get 7 GPU working on this Mobo.

Price 159.00

ASRock H110 Pro BTC+ 13GPU Mining Motherboard CryptoCurrency

Click to view

What can I say… Its an ASRock product! This board is amazing! Rock solid and doesn’t give much grief.
This is a great Mobo. if you want to build it up one card at a time! If you want to use this Mobo and want to go for 13 GPU, and you aren’t quite sure of what you are doing, PLEASE contact me. If you use Windows you might not be able to use all 13 Nvidia cards. You might need a mixture of Nvidia and AMD. But there is a workaround.

Price 137.00

ASUS B250 MINING EXPERT LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI B250 ATX

Click to view

This Mobo is absolutely CRAZY! I would say that this would be for ADVANCED users. It is not that easy to set up. This board has given me a real pain. You have to mix AMD and NVidia GPUs in a specific order. But… it does 19 CARDS, MAN! Remember if this rig goes down, you have 19 cards not producing BTG.

The reason I put it on the list is that it is a bad boy for having 19 slots.

Price 145.00

Now we are getting into some interesting Mobos. I have not tried any of these yet, but I am looking forward to testing them down the road.

Li Bai Mining Motherboard 6 Graphics Cards for Intel CPU included ONDA D1800

Click here

Say whaaaaaaat? A motherboard that has its own CPU and full 6x 16x PCI slots on board! I find this board interesting and the price is fair. There are cases for them. If you want them, let me know.

Price 200.00

ONDA B250BTC-D8P 12 GPU’s Mining BTC Motherboard LGA1151

Click here

This board supports 12 GPUs, 8 onboard (8x 16x PCI-E slots and 4x 1x PCI-E slots) I cannot wait to try this one out!

Price 298.00

BTC B250C LGA1150 LGA1151 Motherboard 8GPU to 12GPU

Click to view

This Mobo is amazing! Imagine doing away with those little 1x USB adapters and plug straight from the USB to the riser! That’s what I’m talking about!

Price $190.00

Conclusion

Well, there we have it. There are a lot of different motherboards to choose from, probably hundreds. I tried to make it simple for everyone. If you are having issues you can also ask at your local computer shop.

Important to note

Mining BTG does not take much processing power (CPU) nor much memory (RAM). You can use a Pentium or a Celeron very easily and I would go with 8 Gb Ram ( some say you can use 4 Gb, but I want to be safe. You may be able to get by with less RAM if running Linux than under Windows.)

Thank you, everyone, for taking time to visit! I am working on a HUGE price list for all the parts you need and explanations. I will publish it as soon as I get it done.

As always, I am available here, Telegram, and Discord, if you need your questions answered.
And let me know your thoughts!

Blackbox

5 Likes

Nice job, @Blackbox - I have a small set of mining rigs and consider myself knowledgeable, but I haven’t been shopping for mobos for months and months… some of these new mining-specific mobos have some very nice touches, and I had no idea!

Thanks for sharing the info.

3 Likes

Hi Blackbox nice post.

Want to ask your adivise, since I never do mining before…
I’m looking for rig that expandable, start small and add more gpu later. 6 GPU at most per rig.

What do you suggest ? Especially for powersupply and gpu?
What i mean here is not advise about brand, but more about power consumption.

what your thinking, Which one better using 1 PSU with high capacity (1700W) or using 2 (850W / psu)

Pardon my english, it is my second language

Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you so much for contacting me! I will be more than happy to help you with information and save you some money at the same time.
For a motherboard, I really like the Asus Prime z270 A with a g5500 intel cpu. 8 gb ram ddr4 . For a power supply , I would use the following: one psu.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G2-0850-XR

You want to make sure that the psu has enough vga and sata cables for 6 gpus.

With this configuration you can use the GTX-1060

Dont forget about the risers…:slightly_smiling_face:
If you have any more questions feel free to ask

1 Like

hi… thanks for reply… another question, want to make sure… 1 evga 850 watt psu enough to take care 6 gpu? am i right? thanksss…

1 Like

Depends on the GPUs and the algos you mine!

For six 1060s mining BTG, yes. They draw around 90W each; that;s 540W. Leaves space for your CPU and other components, and maybe even the ability to mine more power-hungry algos in the future.

A 1080Ti will draw more like 190W each. That’s 1,140 total! Whole different story. (And I think you’ll need twelve power leads to the cards; unsure.)

3 Likes

Mental Nomad is correct. It boils down on how much you would like to spend on your rig. I picked the one I mentioned, because it is an inexpensive way to get a 6 gpu rig. Please feel free to ask some more questions if you’d like.

3 Likes

@MentalNomad @Blackbox
thanks for fast reply and helpfull insight… sorry if my question look silly :sweat_smile:

With this kind of community, I think BTG will grow exponentially…

4 Likes

Hi there
It is never silly to ask questions🙂. Either myself of someone from the team is more than happy to help you get started mining BTG.
Welcome to our family!
Kind Regards,
Blackbox

3 Likes

A few days ago ordered a good one on ebay. Don’t really like buying things this way, I prefer local shops so I had to waste some time to figure things out and to remember my indiana zip code but the deal was dirt cheap so I decided that it would be a good idea.

1 Like

Bad ideea when it comes to objects, mr. Duclyn sir.
We have a saying about people, which translated and adapted sounds like this:
“anything that’s good, is free,
satisfaction guaranteed”

But, in general, when it comes to electronics, the cheaper you buy, the more experienced you need to be, to make it work, hanging by a thread, at most, and even then, it will most likely be unstable. ;))

1 Like